This is a quick to prepare bread with cumin seeds and baking soda, as a leavening agent.
To make one bread loaf, 20 cm diameter
3½ cups bread flour or all-purpose flour
1 tablespoon cumin seeds (other seeds or herbs may be used instead)
1 teaspoon baking soda
1 teaspoon salt
1½ cups yogurt
1 tablespoon milk
2 teaspoons nigella seeds (hab albarakeh)
1 teaspoon cumin seeds
1. Mix dry ingredients which are flour, cumin seeds, baking soda, and salt in a big bowl.
2. Stir yogurt and pour over the ingredients in the bowl, stir with a fork till yogurt is well mixed with the dry ingredients.
3. Place dough on a slightly floured working surface, knead briefly just to mix ingredients, form into a ball and place on a baking sheet.
4. Press lightly on top to form a round with a 20 cm diameter. Make a big x cut on top about 1 cm. deep by using a razor blade or a very sharp knife.
5. Brush loaf with milk and sprinkle with nigella seeds and cumin seeds.
6. Bake in a preheated 220 Cº oven 30 to 35 minutes then remove from oven and cool.
Irish bread keeps well for few days and stays delicious if well covered.
Serve with cheese, labneh, soups, or salads.