A simple but sophisticated finale to any meal, served in the famous French restaurant La Tour d’Argent.
Ingredients: 6 to 8 servings
340g. puff pastry, kept cold
6-7 Golden apples, peeled, cored and thinly sliced
1/4-1/2 cup sugar depending on the sweetness of the apples
For apricot glaze
⅔ cup apricot jam or any other light colored jam plus 1 tablespoon water
1 tablespoon water
To serve: (optional)
Vanilla ice-cream or whipped cream
1. Preheat oven to 230 Cº (450 Fº).
2. Divide puff pastry in half and roll one half to a rectangle 30 x 19 cm., roll the second half into same thickness and cut 3 rounds with 15 cm. diameter.
3.Place the puff pastry rectangle and rounds on a dampened oven sheet and make small holes all over with a fork, refrigerate for 30 minutes.
4. Peel and core apples and slice thinly.
5. Place sliced apples in contrasting rows over the rectangular tart and in circular fashion on the rounds, sprinkle sugar over the top.
6. Bake in the lower third part of the oven at for 20-30 minutes.
7. Remove from oven and set aside for 20 minutes till warm,brush with apricot glaze.
8. Serve warm alone or with fresh cream or vanilla ice cream.
To prepare apricot glaze
Place apricot jam and water in a small pan and bring to the boil, simmer for 1 minute and strain.
Tart is best served the same day it is prepared. It keeps well at room temperature for a whole day.